The world of eSports has taken the gaming industry by storm, transforming video games into a global phenomenon. Electronic sports, or eSports, involve professional gamers competing against each other in multiplayer video games. While eSports encompasses various gaming platforms, PC games have emerged as the dominant force on the competitive scene. In this article, we will explore some popular PC games that have made a significant impact in the eSports realm, captivating both players and viewers worldwide.
League of Legends (LoL):
League of Legends, developed by Riot Games, is a multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) game that has revolutionized the eSports landscape. With its strategic gameplay and engaging team-based battles, LoL boasts one of the largest player bases in the world. The game features intense matches between two teams of five players, each controlling a unique champion with different abilities. LoL’s competitive scene has grown exponentially, with major tournaments like the League of Legends World Championship drawing millions of viewers and offering substantial prize pools.
Here are some of the features of League of Legends (LoL):
- Multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA): LoL is a 5v5 multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) game. This means that two teams of five players battle each other to destroy the other team’s base.
- Free-to-play: LoL is a free-to-play game, which means that anyone can download and play it for free. However, there are some in-game items that can be purchased with real money.
- Champions: Players in LoL choose from a pool of over 150 champions to play as. Each champion has their own unique abilities and playstyle.
- Runes and Masteries: Players can customize their champions by equipping them with runes and masteries. Runes and masteries provide additional bonuses to champions, such as increased damage or health.
- Items: Players can purchase items in LoL to improve their champions’ stats and abilities. Items can be bought from the in-game shop using gold, which is earned by killing minions, monsters, and champions.
- Esports: LoL is one of the most popular esports games in the world. There are professional leagues and tournaments held all over the world, with millions of dollars in prize money.
LoL is a fast-paced and action-packed game that is easy to learn but difficult to master. It is a great game for players of all skill levels, and it is sure to provide hours of entertainment.
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS:GO):
CS:GO, developed by Valve Corporation, is a first-person shooter game that has become synonymous with the eSports scene. Known for its high skill ceiling and tactical gameplay, CS:GO features two teams, terrorists and counter-terrorists, battling in objective-based rounds. The game’s competitive mode has captivated players through its strategic depth and emphasis on teamwork. Major tournaments such as the Intel Extreme Masters and ESL One showcase the intense competition and incredible skill displayed by professional CS:GO players.
CS:GO has been praised for its gameplay, graphics, and competitive scene. The game has also been a commercial success, with over 30 million copies sold worldwide.
Here are some of the key features of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive:
- Competitive gameplay: CS:GO is a highly competitive game, and it is played by professional gamers around the world. The game features a ranked matchmaking system, which allows players to compete against other players of similar skill levels.
- Variety of game modes: CS:GO features a variety of game modes, including classic bomb defuse, hostage rescue, and an arms race. This allows players to find a game mode that they enjoy.
- Highly customizable: CS:GO is a highly customizable game, and players can customize their weapons, skins, and even the game’s HUD. This allows players to create a game that is tailored to their own preferences.
- Active community: CS:GO has a large and active community, and there are many websites and forums where players can discuss the game. This allows players to find help and advice from other players.
Dota 2 is a multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) game developed and published by Valve. It is the stand-alone sequel to Defense of the Ancients (DotA), which was a mod for the video game Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and its expansion pack, The Frozen Throne.
Dota 2 is played in matches between two teams of five players, with each team occupying and defending its own base on the map. Each player controls a powerful character, known as a “hero”, who all have unique abilities and fighting styles. During a match, players collect experience points and items for their heroes to successfully defeat the opposing team’s heroes in player-versus-player combat. A team wins by being the first to destroy the other team’s “Ancient”, a large structure located within their base.
Dota 2 is one of the most popular video games in the world, with over 13 million active players per month. It is also one of the most popular esports games in the world, with The International, its annual world championship tournament, having the highest prize pool of any esports tournament in history.
Here are some of the features of Dota 2:
- Hero: Players in Dota 2 choose from a pool of over 120 heroes to play as. Each hero has their own unique abilities and playstyle.
- Items: Players can purchase items in Dota 2 to improve their heroes’ stats and abilities. Items can be bought from the in-game shop using gold, which is earned by killing minions, monsters, and heroes.
- Runes: Players can collect runes that spawn in the river at regular intervals. Runes provide temporary bonuses to heroes, such as increased damage or health regeneration.
- Creeps: Creeps are AI-controlled units that spawn in the lanes of the map. Creeps provide gold and experience when they are killed.
- Towers: Towers are defensive structures that protect the bases of each team. Towers attack enemy heroes and creeps that come within their range.
- The International: The International is an annual Dota 2 tournament hosted by Valve. The International is the most prestigious Dota 2 tournament in the world, and it has the highest prize pool of any esports tournament in history.
StarCraft II is a real-time strategy (RTS) game that is known for its high skill ceiling and competitive scene. It is a challenging game that requires players to make quick decisions and outmaneuver their opponents.
Here is some information about StarCraft II:
- StarCraft II is a real-time strategy (RTS) game developed and published by Blizzard Entertainment. It is the sequel to the 1998 video game StarCraft and its 2000 expansion pack, StarCraft: Brood War.
- StarCraft II is set in the Koprulu Sector, a fictional region of space where three galactic powers—the Terrans, the Zerg, and the Protoss—are locked in a struggle for dominance.
- StarCraft II is played in matches between two players, with each player controlling one of the three factions. Players must gather resources, build units, and attack their opponent’s base in order to win.
- StarCraft II is known for its high skill ceiling and competitive scene. The game has been featured in numerous esports tournaments, including the World Cyber Games and the Intel Extreme Masters.
Here are some of the features of StarCraft II:
- 3 playable races: Players can choose to play as one of the three playable races: Terran, Zerg, or Protoss. Each race has its own unique units, abilities, and playstyle.
- Multiplayer: StarCraft II is a multiplayer game, and players can compete against each other online. There are ranked and unranked matches, as well as custom games that can be played with friends.
- Co-op: StarCraft II also features a co-op mode, where two players can team up to defeat AI opponents.
- Campaign: StarCraft II has a single-player campaign that follows the story of three different characters: Jim Raynor, Kerrigan, and Artanis.
- StarCraft II is a challenging and rewarding game that requires strategy, skill, and quick reflexes. It is a great game for players of all skill levels, and it is sure to provide hours of entertainment.
Overwatch is a team-based first-person shooter (FPS) game that is known for its fast-paced action and colorful characters. It is a relatively new game, but it has quickly become one of the most popular esports games in the world.
Overwatch is a team-based first-person shooter (FPS) game developed and published by Blizzard Entertainment. It was released in May 2016 for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.
Overwatch is set in a near-future world where humans and robots have formed an international task force known as Overwatch to maintain peace and order. Players choose from a roster of 32 heroes, each with their own unique abilities and playstyles, to battle against other players in objective-based matches.
Overwatch is known for its fast-paced action and colorful characters. The game has been praised for its diverse cast of heroes, its strategic gameplay, and its visually appealing art style.
Here are some of the features of Overwatch:
- Hero roster: Players can choose from a roster of 32 heroes, each with their own unique abilities and playstyles. Heroes are divided into four classes: offense, defense, tank, and support.
- Objective-based matches: Overwatch matches are objective-based, meaning that players must work together to complete specific objectives in order to win. Objectives vary depending on the game mode, but they often involve capturing control points or escorting a payload.
- Teamwork: Overwatch is a team-based game, and teamwork is essential to its success. Players must communicate with each other and coordinate their attacks in order to win matches.
- Esports: Overwatch is a popular esport, and there are professional leagues and tournaments held all over the world. The Overwatch League is the most prestigious Overwatch esports league, and it has teams from all over the world.
- Overwatch is a fast-paced and action-packed game that is easy to learn but difficult to master. It is a great game for players of all skill levels, and it is sure to provide hours of entertainment.
In conclusion, PC games have undoubtedly dominated the competitive gaming scene for several reasons. Their accessibility, wide range of genres, and intense gameplay have attracted millions of players worldwide. Top titles like Dota 2, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and League of Legends have become household names, gathering huge fan bases and fostering thriving esports communities.
These games offer a unique blend of strategy, skill, and teamwork, creating an environment where players can showcase their abilities and compete at the highest level. The rise of professional gaming and the establishment of lucrative esports tournaments have turned these PC games into legitimate sports, with players earning substantial incomes and achieving celebrity status.
What are PC games?
PC games are video games that are designed to run on personal computers. They are typically played using a keyboard and mouse or a game controller connected to the computer.
Where can I buy PC games?
PC games can be purchased from various online platforms such as Steam, Epic Games Store, GOG, Origin, and Microsoft Store. They can also be bought from retail stores or from the official websites of game developers and publishers.
Are PC games better than console games?
The superiority of PC games over console games is subjective and depends on personal preferences. PC games offer more customization options, better graphics and performance, and a wider range of game genres. Console games, on the other hand, provide a more seamless and convenient gaming experience.
Can I play PC games on a Mac?
Some PC games are compatible with Mac operating systems, but not all. Before purchasing a game, it is essential to check its system requirements and compatibility with Mac OS. Additionally, using software like Boot Camp or virtualization software can enable Mac users to play some Windows-based PC games.
What are Steam and other gaming platforms?
Steam is a popular digital distribution platform for PC games developed by Valve Corporation. It allows users to purchase, download, and manage their game library. Other gaming platforms include Epic Games Store, GOG, Origin, Uplay, and Microsoft Store, which offer similar services.
Can I play PC games with my friends online?
Yes, many PC games offer multiplayer features, allowing you to play with friends online. These can range from cooperative gameplay to competitive multiplayer modes. Some games also support cross-platform play, allowing you to play with friends on other gaming platforms.